Thursday, May 24, 2007

A Birthday Cake to Make Me Happy... and Sad

The most memorable part of my birthday on Sunday was the cake that Beau made for me.

Saturday night he baked layers of lemon cake. Sunday morning I helped him mix up some buttercream icing then left him to tint the icing and decorate the cake.

Standing just outside the kitchen, I watched him get started. Casey and Britt were standing by to help, and I heard Beau tell them, "The first thing we need is a crumb coat."

A crumb coat! My 10-year-old son knows what a crumb coat is. I'm so proud. And happy.

Someday he'll endear himself to his girlfriend by presenting her with a homemade cake on her birthday. And he'll break my heart.

5 comments:

Francine Medeiros said...

i eat :P

Carrie said...

I'm going to cry.

Char said...

Me too!
What a nice birthday!

Carrie said...

way to create cake!
you must be very proud Beau
blessed with skill and Love


(it's a hiaku inspired poem)

Carrie said...

Oops!

haiku not hiaku